Monday, February 13, 2006

Lovely Poem


Today I have no serious plans .. I have the LQS owner Ann-Christine coming by. We are going to have a look at my sewingmachine...
I have finished cutting all my scrap fabrics for my basketquilt yesterday. I just have the settingfabric left to cut. I will try to applique the handles on the top triangle of the basket before piecing the blocks together..
I have started on the big heap of scraps for my Ocean Waves, but it doesn't look like it when I look at the pile left on the floor....*s*

At my friends house I read this lovely poem written by a daughter of a quilter after recieving a quilt from her mother:

Quilters Daughter

I am a quilter's daughters,
A treasured title to own,
For hours my Mum has thought of me,
And sewn and sewn and sewn

In each piece of fabric,
In every border, every square,
My Mum, the quilter, stitches her love,
And boldly lays it bare

There is not mistaking the motive,
Of one who gives quilts,
Just to see the pure joy on my face,
Is what my mother's hands have built

When I was a little Mum would use,
Her hands to tuck me into bed,
Now the quilt, with her fingertips,
Tucks me in instead

I can only pray my daughter,
Feels half as loved by me,
To feel warm and backed and stitched in,
To their Grandma's legacy

Source: Australian Quilters Companion no 18
written by: Margaret Taylors daughter from Chatswood NSW

I hope you liked this poem too. I wish my mother had been a quilter...*s*

See you later..

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hoi Barbara,

Ik ben hier even met Tineke om je site te laten zien. Harstikke leuk hoor vooral de katten foto's ;-))

Groetjes,

Tineke en Sacha

9:03 PM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

Thanks for sharing that poem! (I wish my mother was a quilter too...) Now I hope to have similarly appreciative children. :o)

2:27 PM  
Blogger Passionate Quilter said...

What a lovely poem--I might use that on my daughter's quilts. Thanks for sharing and welcome to our part of the world!

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home