Thursday, November 09, 2006

Spool Top Finished


I finished my Spoolquilt top. I am so happy with it! I love the reproduction fabrics together with the Japanese fabric for the sashing. It took me a while to find the right fabric, but I did find the perfect one at my last visit to Petra Prins.

The original quilt was featured in a Quiltmania magazine.



One of the things I liked about this pattern is that the background is made out of one piece. In most patterns the background is made out of 2 HST and a square. This was some extra work, but worth it. Here is a close-up so you can see it:




I did have some bad luck with this quilt. First, I did not have enough spools so I had to make some more, but also take some older blocks apart to get a good mix with the new spools. Then,...well...sashing happened. It is so hard to get that straight. So next time you see me telling you about a quilt I want to make and it has sashing in it...remind me of this quilt...*lol* So the quilt is not square but I don't care!
Third, I made a wrong cut and didn't have enough fabric for the border, I patched 2 smaller pieces together, so it did work..but it took some extra time.

I think I am going to quilt it using an overall baptistfan motif, so you will not see the wobbly sashings so much. I have some woolbatting waiting for a special project. So I think I will use it for this quilt.

Well you might have noticed that I changed my blog a bit again, and the name as well. This is a bit shorter and has a more "clean" look. Cathi made the banner for me..and did most of the blog changes..she is my computersuperwoman..*lol*..so Thanks Cathi!

Barbara

13 Comments:

Blogger Angie said...

I love your spools quilt, Barbara! That one is on my "to-do someday" list. :) Great job!
Angie
www.threadcatcher.blogspot.com

11:21 PM  
Blogger Patti said...

Barbara, I love the new look to your blog! You and Cathi have really been busy in more ways than one!

I just found my first issue of Quiltmania at Barnes and Noble this week. What a wonderful magazine! I'm going to subscribe so I don't miss any. It's very expensive compared to other magazines, but worth every penny I think.

Don't worry about your "wobbly sashing". Many marvelous antique quilts are so afflicted, and we still love them. That's what gives them character. I like this oldfashioned block also - many times the "speed pieced new versions" aren't nearly as interesting, and the spool block is one of those times. Wool batting is perfect - you will love hand stitching it. And Baptist Fans are the perfect choice.

12:10 AM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

Very nice quilt. And I like your new blog name and banner.

12:33 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

The spools quilt is lovely. I like reproduction fabrics the best. The blue you found for the sashing is just perfect!

12:39 AM  
Blogger Silverthimble said...

You did a very nice job on your spool quilt! Congratulations!

2:08 AM  
Blogger Gerry said...

What a beautiful quilt. I'm surprised how quickly you got it put together. That's amazing. I hope you enjoy it!

2:19 AM  
Blogger May Britt said...

The banner is beautiful. Love reading your blog. Have a nice quiltingweekend.

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The new look of your blog is very nice ! I love your spool quilt, I knew the pattern of Quiltmania, and for me, it is "a quilt to make" on my vrey long list. When ? That it all the question ! :0)

10:57 AM  
Blogger Hedgehog said...

The new look is great! Can't believe how quickly you put that top together - it looks terrific. What a great way to make the spools. Maybe I'll make another one and do it this way!

1:11 PM  
Blogger Gail said...

It looks wonderful-you did such a nice job.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Oh this is wonderful, makes me think of my grandma.

Lovely older block pattern and the prints are perfect.

Your new blog look is fun!! You and Cathi did a great job of putting your heads together over this one.

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like visiting a totally new blog--you two "did good"

5:40 AM  
Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Your spools quilt looks perfect to me - nice fit for your bed! That is one big collection of reproduction fabrics you used!

Cheers!

Evelyn

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home