Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Still all over the place but getting somewhere

Still all over the place but getting somewhere, at least it feels like I am getting somewhere, and that is the main thing. Eventhough you might ask yourself the same question sometimes as I do: " Do I need to get somewhere??" But you probably also know the feeling of needing to finish something before you can start something new...so that is where I am going..to a NEW project..*s*

I am working today on my Spoolquilt. I even got up a bit earlier today. Later today I am going to go my friend Weronica and do some sewing there. We sometimes meet when we have things we want to finish. It is sometimes so much easier when you are somewhere else, especially when you need to do things like ripping out seams and other more boring stuff..


Going to try to match together all the spools before I go, and sew them together so that the blocks will be done. ( It will look like a 4 patch made of 4 spools)Then I will start on the sashing at Weronica's house and will get some help from her with cutting the sashing into 2,5 meter long strips.

About the new project:
I have been thinking for a long time about making an Ocean waves quilt. I have written about it before. I had even bought 10 yards of blue fabric for it and made some swaps with other quilters to get more variation in the fabrics that will make the small triangles.
But when the blue fabric arrived it was the wrong color. So I was a bit bummed out, so it was just sitting there. But yesterday...at 05:00 I had an epiphany. You can dye fabric.*S* It took me a couple of months to think of it..*s*
So I went to the shop yesterday to buy dye and dyed the fabric. This is the result:


I thought it was a bit to bright. I thought looking online and in the catalogue that it would be a bit more navy blue, but it was not. I saved a piece of the fabric in the old color that I put on top you can see the difference. So I am happy with the result!


Now a question.
I would like to make my ocean waves quilt like a classic quilt like this one and the white will be the navy blue. So my question is what good methods are there for making all these small triangles. Any tips? I have used a Square in a Square ruler and normally do it the old fashioned way by drawing a line on the diagonal of a square...sewing on each side of the line and then cutting apart.
I would like to avoid any paperpiecing methods...HELP??

thanks!

Barbara

10 Comments:

Blogger Hedgehog said...

The blue looks great! 10 yards is a lot - glad you could save it. Are you going to use the dark blue in the middle where the white is in the picture you linked to?

10:45 AM  
Blogger Patti said...

When I'm making a lot I like to use the method I talked about on my blog. Here is the link:

http://hardenbrookgirl.blogspot.com/2006/07/obsessed-with-using-scraps.html

Let me know if you have any questions.

2:44 PM  
Blogger quiltpixie said...

However you do it, that blue is going to make for a wonderfully rich quilt :-)

2:55 PM  
Blogger Shelina said...

I understand your hesitation with paperpiecing, because you have to do everything backwards, and precut your fabric, etc. But using triangle paper (also called thangles) is using paper but not really paper piecing. You don't have to precut your fabric.
You can also do this method without buying triangle paper.
Making Your Own GridBasically, it is like the drawing on a diagonal of a square, except that it is MUCH faster, because you are making a whole bunch at a time.

6:26 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

If the problem is just sewing those HSTs some fast way, you can do that without paper.

Here are some sites:

Tutorial

Quilt University

Multiple HSTs

Good luck with your project.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Mary Johnson said...

I love two color quilts and a blue and white ocean waves quilt will look lovely. I also use Thangles when I have to make a lot of half square triangles.

8:57 PM  
Blogger MARCIE said...

Looks like you have lots of good suggestions. My preferred method is Triangles on a Roll. It is paper, which you said you would rather not do, but it sure works great! Especially when you have to make a ton of triangles. I like it better than Thangles because you can trim it after you sew it, so everything stays lined up. It is a total no brainer, and you can sit and pull off the paper in the evenings in front of the TV. Then just press them open, with no "ears" to trim off. Have fun!

6:19 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

I have recently used Triangles on a Roll (see post) that was fairly easy. Especially if you need large numbers of HSTs out of the same two colours.
Don't worry about the time it took to think of the dye - that's why we 'age' quilts, to give us time to think of just the right solution!

4:58 AM  
Blogger Lucy said...

I remember Bonnie have some good directions for a oceanwaves.... Look at her site !

3:33 PM  
Blogger Sterby said...

I found your blog when I typed 'Blue and White Ocean Waves Quilt'in my search window. I started planning an ocean waves quilt this week and have chosen the fabrics from my stash. I usually hand piece my quilts but I may try some other method this time. I also noticed that you live in Sweden. My son's at University this year at Vaxjo and we're visiting him Dec. 21. Let me know if you know of any good fabric stores in Stockholm, Kiruna, or Vaxjo!
-Kathryn in NC

12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home