Friday, October 13, 2006

What a great trip part 2

Hi!

Okay so here is part 2 of our trip. After showing you all I bought and the projects I will be working on, I thought it would be time to show you some of the things we did.

On Sunday:
We spent half the day sightseeing. In the morning we went to the "hei" Don't know what that is called in English. They still have a large number of sheep here going around everyday with a dog and a herder. When we came the "hei" it was no longer in bloom. Normally the whole fields are pink and purple.


After that we went to a small village called Hardewijk which is quite old. Here are some old houses.

In the evening I had some friends who came over and we celebrated my birthday.


On Monday:

On Monday we went to Kampen. It is a small city were I was born. It used to be Hanzestad, which were an allicance of towns in Holland, but also in other countries in Holland were the harbors where. In the town I lived they used to arrive with the big ships from India and other countries in 1700 and 1800. So this town has the classical Dutch structure of an old city with canals and a large wall around the city with gates against invaders.
Here is one of the gates:




















When we were here, we visited my cousin, who started quilting 2 years ago. When my mom died, we cleaned out her house together and on our short breaks I would quilt a bit to get my mind on other things...so she saw it...we went to the quiltingshop which was my moms neighbour and a new quilter was born. Here is a picture of her and some of her quilts:


I really like her quilts and the colors she picks out. She does everything by hand and doesn't even own a rotarycutter to my surprise.
We also went to see my uncle. He is a carpenter and he builds old boats. He sometimes makes boats that are still drawn in old historical documents, but since they were all made of wood, have rotten away a long time ago. So most of them you can find in museums now. We saw him on the boat and we able to have a look around. It was much fun...but I forgot to take a picture. So here are a picture of the boats he makes, but the picture was made in the town Spakenburg (I will tell you all about that one later!)


On wednesday:
We visited Petra Prins Patchwork, and had a class in Japanese Applique and used this tool and a finger presser that I can't find a picture of on the clover website, but it is from clover. We spent the whole day there and they spent a lott of hours cutting all of our fabrics...*s* since we bought so much...we really had a great day

So as some of you may have seen I skipped the Thursday, but that is because I have some special thing to write about it tomorrow!

I started on a block for my red and white quilt. It is looking great and the 6" blocks are quite fast to do. I am going to prepare some more pieces today, and work on Helena's CrazyQuilt!

Bye for now!

Barbara

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the photos from your trip, and your cousins quilts are beautiful

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the photos from your trip, and your cousins quilts are beautiful

1:36 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

It's lovely to go sightseeing on the other side of the world. Thanks

8:42 AM  
Blogger Gail said...

Thank you for sharing your trip and the photos with us, I may never get to visit the places you show. I look at your pictures and wish I had been with you.

4:35 PM  
Blogger Shelina said...

How fun to visit your hometown. And seeing a quilter that you inspired to quilt. Her work is beautiful. Thank you for showing us these pictures, Barbara. It is fun to travel, even if it is virtually. That red and gray pillow is so nice - looks like it would be hard to get that optical illusion fabric, and all the curves.
Looks like the quilt that you like would work best with paper piecing the circles.

12:50 AM  
Blogger Silverthimble said...

How wonderful that there is another quilter in your family. Your cousin does amazing work--all by hand and without a rotary cutter!

7:35 AM  
Blogger Eileen said...

Thank you, Barbara for sharing your vacation with us. I love all the fabric you bought and it's great you have plans for it all. I plan on going back to Europe in a few years, your photos make me want to go sooner!!!

1:44 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Your vacation sounds wonderful, loved the pictures

5:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home