Friday, March 03, 2006

Mountains of tops


Some days ago I wrote about wondering what my thing was. I got loads of email. I haven't really replied to everybody, because of the volume! But by reading all the comments I have one conclusion why I don't really know what my thing is: I spend a lot of time doing things for other people and then you adjust the quilt to those people, right?

So the plan is now to start sewing a bit more for myself so I can find out. The thing is that I made this plan already once before. It was my newyearsresolution to be exact..*s*. But it isn't working so well, if you have been reading my blog. I made something for a friend, and 3 mini quilts for the LQS. Plus I have a special project I already started last year to be finished this year.
Well I guess I have to do some thinking if I really want to give up sewing for others to find my thing. I'll will post my findings later when I have made up my mind.

Okay now about the mountains of tops. I love quilting but starting a new top always wins from the quilting. So Now I have 8 tops ready for quilting. Ofcourse I would like to do the quilting by hand but maybe I can start doing some on the machine.
Tips anyone?

On Sunday there will be a fair in Stockholm , which is held in autumn and spring. It is a fair with evertything for quilting, sewing, knitting, croche, embroidery and so on. So I am going to dive in some projects later today were there are some things missing so I can look for it at the fair. I started a quilt called Les Bobbins de Martine with spools. I made all the spools but can't find a sashing that suits. Here is a picture of the original: http://www.quiltmania.com/patchwork/magazine/quilt/article/Les-Bobines-de-Martine/83/913/913.htm

Well, have a great day. I will get into diving into projects!

Barbara

7 Comments:

Blogger Cher said...

doing your own thing-yes, I would agree-that would get quilters to respond-you could have a turn to make something for yourself-then something for someone else-that is what I try to do. I think doing your own quilting by machine is fun, if you enjoy it! If you can afford to pay someone else to do-then that is a great option too. Hope you find the sashing at the fair.

5:45 PM  
Blogger Patti said...

Two suggestions Barbara - take a machine quilting class, then practice, practice, practice! Cut up all your battting scraps into 12" squares, then do the same with muslin or fabric you dislike. Make 12" sandwiches so they are available for practicing any time you have a few minutes. I did this and the result was 41 muslin sandwiches! I'd taken two machine quilting classes about 10 years apart but still hadn't done anything with it. There is an excuse for the first time - my machine was lousy for the task. But I had a new machine so that was no longer the excuse. Having those sandwiches ready made all the difference. After quilting about 25 of them to death I was ready to try a real quilt. Practice was the key.

If you can't take a class get a great instructional book. I recommend either Harriet Hargrave's or Diane Gaudiski's. I'm sure I didn't spell Diane's last name right, and my book is upstairs. If you search a book store site for machine quilting I'm sure you'll find it.

Now for your other practice. Repeat after me . . . "No. No. No". It's important to do ME quilting at least part of the time.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Bonnie K. Hunter said...

Have one quilt that is ready for hand quilting....If it is basted and ready to be stitched on, set the timer for how long you want to quilt on it. Maybe 1/2 hour hand quilting before you allow your self to do more piecing on a new project! I find if I have something ready for hand quilting and can do it small bits at a time, it still gets done! And once I've sat at it a few minutes, I really enjoy it, and I will often end up hand quilting longer than I had originally planned! :c)

Bonnie

9:22 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

It's important to take time for us! I have yet to make myself MY quilt...I have lots of "house" quilts that keep me warm on the couch...but one day I will have my own!!!
Hugs
Laurie

9:51 PM  
Blogger Mary Johnson said...

I like to make the quilts I want to make and then give them away. I rarely agree to make something specific for someone. The exception being that I'll occasionally make something one of my boys wants.

My husband wants another flannel quilt and I told him I'll make him a flannel backed one but from a pattern of MY choice!

7:08 AM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Hi barbara,

Ik denk dat ik hetzelfde heb. Er komen steeds meer tops op een stapel en veel wat af is gaat naar de winkel waar ik werk. Machine quilten is veel oefenen. Ik denk dat ik daar maar eens aan ga beginnen :c) leuke tas heb je gemaakt

1:10 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

maybe I should have give you a comment in english :c) . so that everyone can read it . but it was a reaction of me to do it in dutch :c)

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home