Sunday, March 26, 2006

Working on those UFO's and a question

Since I made that UFO list, UFO's are on my mind and I can't seem to get them out of my mind. So I have started on finishing some.




I started yesterday with my halloween quilt. Here is a picture were I just fused the applique parts on the quilt. I now have appliqued it using my new machine...(jippie)



Here is a pciture of my Double Wedding Ring quilt I started a long time ago. I used the quiltsmart way. http://www.quiltsmart.com You make the arces and fuse them onto square 12" blocks and later applique the arces and putting the blocks together into a quilt. As you can see in the conors of the blocks you make small triangles, that when you put 4 blocks together turn into a square. The posistion of the triangles are very precise to make the block square when you put 4 together which is extra hard because of the arcs give a lot of bulk..

Now I have the following idea:
I want to draw all the blocks onto one big piece of background fabric, so I know were the arcs are supossed to go and applique them. And then applique a 4-patch over the place were now the big green triangel is.
What do you think, is this a good idea or does somebody have a better one?

Since I didn't like the big green squares in the middle that were just inpossible to get square I stopped so I hope this works. When I went back to this project today I found out after counting that I allready have enough arcs for a 60 by 60 inch quilt without the borders!

bye!

6 Comments:

Blogger The Calico Cat said...

I think the "plan" could work... You just need extra wide background fabric...

5:28 PM  
Blogger Linda C said...

Good for you pulling out those UFOs and getting them closer to completion. The witch is cute for Halloween. I've not tried the quiltsmart method you described but it sounds a lot easier than the traditional wedged piecing.

I have one that I started in a John Flynn workshop years and years ago---think I lost the angled thing that you are supposed to use to resew the strip sets. That may well turn into something else, one of these days.

7:48 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

I've never done a DWR but it sounds like your idea might work. Congrats on making progress on UFO's.

Judy L.

4:43 AM  
Blogger ForestJane said...

I like your halloween quilt!

Are you going to put a face on the pumpkin on the lower right corner or leave it plain?

And how are you liking your new machine? I've got to get one soon, mine is very old and won't do everything I want it to do. :)

8:58 AM  
Blogger Cher said...

good to work on ufos...your idea seems good to me...though not being a fan of applique-I would never have tried this method in the first place!

8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Barb,
Have you thought of trying paper piecing? I've seen this method for completing the arc and it gives very precise results, then the rest is done with regular piecing. I plan to use this method when I have the time to make a DWR.

Just a thought; you could use some of your ufo's for tote bags, stuffed animals (teddy bears), pillows, etc.

Love the baby gifts & card!

P.S. I noticed my website posted here, thanks! There is a correction though - it is now www.WillowHillQuilts.net

4:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home