Thursday, April 13, 2006

Can't wait to get in front of the fireplace


Well, I am really bussy here getting everything in order for our vacation. We are going to our cottage for 5 whole days. I can hardley wait. Here is a picture of one of the fireplaces in one of the smaller rooms. I totally love the way it is painted. The house was build in 1800, but the farm seems to have been there for a long time. It is even listed on one of the earliest maps. Beside the whole house runs a fast runing stream that in the spring runs really fast because of the melting snow. So you can wake upp and hear the birds in the appletrees right outside the window and hear the stream running as it has for centuries. It is a magical place for me.

It has been empty since last autumm, so I hope everything is fine. One winter we had a lot of mice in the cottage and they ate all the mattrasses and carpets and stuff, so there was a lot of cleaning to do. I am hoping that that is not the case this year!

I have prepared a lot of Dear Jane blocks now. Since the cottage has no electricity, there is no tv, radio, and internet to distract me from sewing..*s*

There are also some great old sitting chairs in the cottage that have been left there ages ago, and were even there before the last owner sold the cottage to us. So I was thinking of test sitting them and then pick the best one to follow home with us and I will paint it and put some new fabric on.
One of the most nice things I found in the barns besides all the old funiture was a sewingmachine...a really old iron one...still working with needles and everything, just the leather straps were to be replaced



I also finished the preparations for my applique class. I used a pattern from Blackbird design as inspiration. I am sorry, my digicam is broken so I don't have pictures only of the original. I made 2 pillows one handapplique and one machine applique. I made them with a beige background and red and greens. A bit of a baltimore album look.

here are some pictures of my quilting classes:







Oh, some answers to some questions I got:
The link I gave you to becca didn't work. The right adress is: www.willowhillquilts.net
The weather here is starting get springlike!¨The snow melted last week so I can see the green grass now. We still may get some snow..but it feels like spring.

happy Easter!

9 Comments:

Blogger Hanne said...

Hi Barbara :-)
Where is your cabin ? Far from Västerås ? I really like your fire place. It is beautiful.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

I love to see the pciture from your class. When we meet each other you need to show me how you quilt everyside out . I am very interested! I think you are the one in the dark red??

4:13 PM  
Blogger Cher said...

have a wonderful time at your cabin...sounds so peaceful!

4:31 PM  
Blogger Mary Johnson said...

Have fun at the cottage - we'll be up in the mountains this weekend.

We had some mice in the house the last couple of weeks but I think we finally caught them all. Even with all the woods around the house, we've never gotten them before - hopefully we won't get them again!

2:18 AM  
Blogger Linda C said...

And Happy Easter to you too! Hope you have a wonderful time at the lovely cabin. Get lots of stitching done on your Dear Jane's while you are gone!

3:26 PM  
Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Enjoy your time away at your special cottage. It sounds very relaxing!

Cheers!

Evelyn

12:19 AM  
Blogger  Jeanne said...

Have a wonderful time at the cottage! I hope you'll share more pictures when you get home.
Jeanne

5:33 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Barbara,
Have fun at the cottage...sounds like fun!
Hugs
Laurie

2:06 AM  
Blogger Passionate Quilter said...

your cottage looks like a wonderful place to go and relax! have fun!

11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home