Wednesday, April 26, 2006

More about the Diamonds quilt



Hi!

I have been getting some questions about my Diamonds quilt. So here are all the details.

I first saw a quilt made by Kristel Salgarollo. In the magazine Quiltmania they have a section there they visit quilters homes and you can see there quilts and things. I saw this picture off a quilt on her sofa


I fell in love with the quilt, but in this segment of the magazine there are no patterns. The homes are just for inspiration.

So what to do.... I made a template on cardboard of one big diamond. Traced it on several pieces of freezerpaper. Then I started drawing different kinds of diamonds, triangles and hexagons inside it. So that I would have the same shape of the big diamond, but divided into smaller shapes. I cut the diamonds apart and started tracing it on fabric, adding seamallowance on each part. Then cutting it out and piecing it. When I piece it, it becomes the same diamond again as I made out of cardboard. So that is my refference shape.

The fabric I used is from Moda and is called Wuthering Heights and is from 3 sisters.
I bought a package of FQ and shared half with my friend Weronica. So I have 50 fat eights. The thought is to continue until I am out of fabric or I am too bored with it. Since I am making it totally by hand I am going to keep it myself..

Any more questions please let me know...

Please visit : www.quiltmania.com and kristel on: www.salgarollo.be

bye for now!

6 Comments:

Blogger The Calico Cat said...

Thanks for sharing that inspiration photo = it really is inspiring! I too like that finished quilt! & I like to see how people "live" with quilts!

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for explaination. I like Kristell Salgarollo too and I am happy to find her patterns in quiltmania each time.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Patti said...

What a great idea. I love those fabrics - this is going to be a beautiful quilt when you are finished.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the history. I always wonder how other quilters come up with their quilts. What the original idea was and how they changed the original pattern to make it there own. I love your pattern idea and colors.

6:48 PM  
Blogger Linda C said...

your quilt is looking so pretty. How clever of you to be able to figure out your own version of the quilt!

And 50 blocks of Dear Jane--good for you!

7:58 PM  
Blogger tami said...

Very creative. It is turning out so well. I hope you don't get tired of it before you finish, I would love to see a picture of it completed.

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home