Saturday, April 29, 2006

Pictures, pictures, pictures

Hi,

My friend Weronica was here a couple of days ago and was nice enough to make some pictures of my stuff, so I could post them and show them to you, since mine is broken:-(


Here is another picture of my Diamonds quilt. The last pictures I posted were old ones. When I started to put the blocks onto my "design wall" a couple of days ago I was amazed by the fact that I already had so many blocks done. I always thought I would just make a lappquilt out of the fabric. But there is so much fabric left.
After this picture was taken I made more blocks. So the quilt is now as big as the green wall.

I also placed them in rows instead of the hexagon formation before. I think it looks better now.

Today I am going to make the half diamonds that I will need to make the quilt square. I already have the borderfabric done.
It will be 64 x 76 inches finished



Here are the pillows I told you about for the applique class. I made very classic ones. One is made using machine applique and the other handapplique so they could see the difference.The girls made some in purple and others the same colors as I did.


This is a quilt I made using the Marti Michell ruler for logcabins. It is really great to work with. I just had a limited amount of fabric. The cat is behaving just as a cat does, they always want to be in the middle of what you are working on or taking pictures of in this case. They have a Swedish saying (haven't heard it anywhere else) Dogs have owners, cats have servants...:-)

Something I haven't shared with you before: My husband is a mathwiz! He helps me a lott since I can hardly ad 1+1 and then with inches you got my head spinning.
So he makes the calculations about how much fabric I need and stuff. He sometimes gets really into it.
He makes great calculations. I wanted to make the logcabin and I just wanted to start cutting. I would have ended up with 16 blocks, but dh did something don't ask me what. But a way to cut from one strip the smallest piece and largest piece, so I could make 32 blocks. (if you cut the pieces starting with piece 1 and go round and round in order, you won't be able to cut out the largest parts last..since you just have scraps left..)

Well yesterday night he had a lightbolb moment again. He was looking at my diamonds I made and just placed out at random and saw that I wasn't distributing all the different kinds of diamonds over the whole quilt equally. (as you can see on the picture above) So he counted all the different kinds of diamonds, made some calculation from it. And then knew that, for instance, I needed 2 plain diamonds in each row, but only one with a hexagon in each row. It got my head spinning..But we took everything of my wall...divided all the blocks into categories...and now it looks great...I haven't got a picture of it...sorry

I am trying to get him interested in cutting..but no luck jet :-)))) But EQ5 has gotten his attention ..*s*

Well enough for today! have a great weekend!

Barbara

5 Comments:

Blogger Hanne said...

You do lovely work Barbara :-)

7:37 PM  
Blogger Linda C said...

Barbara, you might make a quilter or at the very least a designer out of your husband since gets into the mathematical, engineering type part of this when he helps you! He may have a ball playing with EQ.

The quilts are lovely and that kitty is adorable! Yep, right in the thick of things. Does yours like to get on the laundry when it is freshly washed?

11:31 PM  
Blogger Cher said...

your diamonds are really coming along-so nice! hurray for a math whiz husband...

2:19 AM  
Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Lucky you that your DH is such a big math help when it comes to your quilting. That is, indeed, a BIG help - I struggle with math too and dang - it sure does pop up alot in quilting! My mind would be spinning with all those diamonds - they are lovely!

What a great idea to make class samples by machine and by hand so that everyone can see the difference! The pillows are both really nice.

Cheers!

Evelyn

2:35 AM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

Very nice! I like the log cabin & I ran into that problem of not having long enough strips for the out side - so on 3 blocks, the last stip is pieced - oh well, I really did not want to cut another long strip!

Cute cat!

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home