Monday, August 07, 2006

Can I really do this??

I just need to vent for a bit and share some quilty thoughts with you:

I have been thinking for a while now..remember my post way back in the beginning " what is your thing?" I have been thinking a lot the last few days about my quilting. Mostly about my UFO's in that sidebar with my top10 on my blog that keeps mocking me.

I really like the Blackbird Design things and have started a few: Home Sweet Home, Friend shipgarden, Quilting the Garden and the last book Sweet Summer. I have exactly 1 block of every book finished. So they are now all UFO's...

My thoughts started running around while doing the Crazy Quilting. When I do things like that (being very creative) I feel so excited. And so proud of the end result. Also the Diamond Quilt give me great satisfaction. It was then I realized that the applique strictly by the book doesn't do that for me. That is probably why I got stuck on just the one block.

So ...Get ready for this... I have cleaned out the 4 projectboxes I had with the fabric in it for all the quilts, patterns and most of the time already some more blocks prepared. The fabric is going back into my stash, the blocks and the prepaired blocks are going into 1 small box, in case I change my mind in the next year, or I find myself without something to do (lol that will never happen..*s*) Now I am going to update the sidebar and just forget about these UFO's.

It feels a bit scary and wrong. I think about all the time and the money I have invested, but is forcing myself to go through making 4 of these enormous quilts better??

Don't get my wrong..I love the designs and the applique, but maybe some quilts are not for me to make but just to look at...

I must say...this feels realy good...I feel so liberated!



*sorry still no new pictures...blame Kodak!...and blogger doesn't want to upload any old pictures either today*

22 Comments:

Blogger Eileen said...

Would the applique blocks go together to make a small wallhanging? Or incorporate them with some pieced blocks like a sampler?
I don't think you should feel it's wrong. This is a hobby that you're supposed to enjoy, not agonize over.

1:18 PM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

You know, you can border the single blocks and turn them into 1 block small quilts...

5:15 PM  
Blogger Gail said...

Don't feel guilty, a hobby is one of those few places in life that should just please you, no answers to anyone else-enjoy it, or don't do it! Now...to follow my own advice! LOL

5:22 PM  
Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Good job! No reason to spend time doing something you don't really love. The fabric can be used for something else.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Patti said...

Barbara, you did well. You made a decision about your UFO's that worked for you. The fabric will get used eventually, so don't worry about that. You've learned much about yourself as a quilter. You can either combine those 4 blocks wtih other orphan blocks for a single quilt - using your creativity to make something wonderful - or get them out of your house by donating them to a worthy cause. The important thing is you've found what type of quilting appeals to you - that's really all that matters. Some people are still trying to figure that out.

5:44 PM  
Blogger Melzie said...

Aw I think you have to do what works for YOU not for others :) have fun "starting over" :) PS love your blog background! xoxo melzie

7:14 PM  
Blogger May Britt said...

Why not sell your ufo's. We made a market flee at my quiltgroup where I took some of my ufo's. And the one that I did not do any more with, got new owners that finished them.

8:20 PM  
Blogger May Britt said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:20 PM  
Blogger May Britt said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:20 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

I think what you did with your UFOs was just fine. If you know in your heart you're not going to finish them it's time to let go. I've done that with a lot of mine.

10:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I understand how you feel. I've given up on projects too. Why make a whole quilt if you've changed your mind on liking the pattern. Do what most inspires you. I always try 1 or 2 blocks of a project before I commit to it.

10:51 PM  
Blogger Katjaquilt said...

Well done, patchwork is your hobby and you should enjoy it and not piece things you don't really like anymore. Life often forces you to do many things you really don't like and you have not enough spare time to waste it. Katja/Germany

11:36 PM  
Blogger  Jeanne said...

Good girl! Now you can start fresh on something exciting and beautiful!
We will never finish ALL the quilts in our lifetimes anyway, so we should only spend time and energy on the ones we LOVE. (And sure, if you run out of things to do someday, you can look at these again)
Jeanne :)

1:29 AM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

Good for you!!! Do what you enjoy. Who knows, maybe sometime those orphan blocks may call to you and you will come up with a great creative idea that you can pass on to all of us.

3:00 AM  
Blogger Linda C said...

sounds like you made a wise decision, Barbara. Do what you love and don't waste the time on the other. If they cannot be repurposed or flung to someone else who can appreciate them, then out they go.

5:41 AM  
Blogger Cher said...

I think you did absolutely the right thing for you! hurray for letting go of those projects that do not excite you and on to those you will love every minute working on!

6:37 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

I'm proud of your decision on those UFOs! Maybe all those blocks can go together into one sampler quilt. =)

9:07 AM  
Blogger Hanne said...

Very well done Barbara :-) Quilting is all about fun and making choices. You have made some good choices for you !
The orphan blocks you can have in your box until inspiration hits - you can make them into totes, pillows for your couch, whatever, to keep yourself or to gift a friend - or just as blocks in the box - who cares ? ;-)
The fabrics will be used eventually and the books / patterns you can enjoy without making more from them.
Good going Barbara !

2:31 PM  
Blogger quiltpixie said...

GOOD WORK! Its a useful way to deal with UFO's if you no longer are inspired by them :-)

3:08 PM  
Blogger Shelina said...

Sounds like a good decision to me. Since it is the process of quilting that I enjoy, I think it is okay to stop whenever you stop enjoying it. I usually continue with mine because after whatever process it is that I don't like, there is more that I do like. And I understand the feeling guilty thing. But there are so many quilts in the world to make and so little time to make them all, you might as well make the ones you enjoy.

12:55 AM  
Blogger ForestJane said...

I'm with everyone else - make pillows or small quilts or gifts with the blocks you have, then move on to something you'll be motivated to finish!

6:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am certain you can find a use or another home for the finished blocks, and other projects for the fabrics. And that you will be much much happier! As many folks above me have said, quilting is your hobby and should bring you joy.

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home