Saturday, July 15, 2006

BATTING???

 

Hi,

I am really really frustrated at the moment. After I wrote this morning I started to think again, and thought I might better finish something then start something new again. So my choice was to do the quilt that has to be done by September..I am sure you all know how frustrating it is to have to finish a project at the last moment with a deadline fast approching.

So I prepared the backing...then took the batting out...so I could start the sandwiching process...

Can somebody please tell me how these manufacuters after stretching this batting so much to fit in their tinny plastic bags expect us to UNSTRETCH IT??.
As you look at the picture you can see that there is like a midlane that is puckering but not the sides...If I pull to take the puckers out I will pull to hard on the places were the batting is flat and it will rip...very frustrating...
(I am using a expensive Hobbs Batting so no cheap batting on a roll)

Some help please? Posted by Picasa

11 Comments:

Blogger sewprimitive karen said...

This is so frustrating; last time I had this problem, I put the batting through the washer (and in the dryer just for a few minutes) and that helped quite a bit.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Patti said...

This is why I much prefer to buy batting on the roll - you get a nice smooth sheet of batting. Not always possible however. I'm with Karen - but I don't put it in the washer. I just put it in the dryer, throw a cup of water over it, and run the dryer until it is dry. Always seems to work.

3:14 PM  
Blogger Silverthimble said...

I have had customers wash and dry this brand of batting and it was fine. If you don't want to put it through the complete wash cycle, do what patti suggests and just get it wet before putting in the dryer. The dryer seems to relax the fibres.

3:41 PM  
Blogger quiltpixie said...

I'd be so spitting mad you wouldn't need to add water to dampen it before sending it to the dryer.... hope others suggestions work.

3:43 PM  
Blogger Linda C said...

I've never seen any so horrible as that, Barbara---it looks positively schizophrenic. I would be tempted to send that picture to Hobbs and ask them what the heck is the matter with the product!

They may send you a new roll as that one is in bad shape and get on quality control. You bought the more expensive product expecting it to be "right" and more like the right hand side of the picture.

3:46 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

I have used this brand of batting, too, and though mine wasn't quite this bad, I have seen similar problems. I just thru mine in the dryer(didn't even wet it) and that seemed to fix the problem just fine. I hope it works for you.

6:42 PM  
Blogger ForestJane said...

*laughs at quiltpixie*

That's pretty spitting mad! My only additions to the suggestions you're getting is to spray only that stretched middle section with a spray bottle of water... then dry it.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Judith said...

Barbara ben jij degene die in Heemskerk heeft gewoond? Ik zou hem in de droger stoppen, sommige dat het helpt om er tennisballen bij te doen.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Hoi Barbara,

Ik zou hem in een de wasmachine op een miniwas doen. Daarna op een laken in de zon laten drogen. Ik heb het een keer eerder gezien maar niet zo erg als deze!
Ik vind je nieuwe "blog" erg leuk !
En je naaikamer is fantastisch geworden.

9:10 AM  
Blogger ForestJane said...

*giggles at judith*

I think a tennis ball in the dryer would make enough noise to send my two cats running under the bed for a week! Bet it'd help though!

1:34 AM  
Blogger Mary Johnson said...

That's one of the worst battings I've seen. I use Hobbs on the roll most of the time but I do buy it in the packages occasionally if I need a certain size. It's never as nice in the package as on the roll. Glad you were able to solve your problem.

2:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home